« Home | Too soon? » | You didn't do anything! » | Good Luck Curt and Laura » | Ever have one of those nights? » | Back from the dead... » 

Friday, October 26, 2007 

What would you take?

In lieu of the recent wild fires, I got to thinking. If a knocked came to my door and I only had 10 minutes to evacuate, what would I take. Assuming I would throw what I could into a back pack, I came up with this short list.

• My Laptop. Only reason for this is because it stores all my photos I've ever taken.
• Food for my dog. She's the closest thing I have to a child so I have to take care of her.
• Deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste.
• Extra pair of shoes.
• Important papers that are in my lock box. Passport, insurance papers, etc.
• Clothes if there is room left.

What would you take?

Food for the dog but not the dog?

I'd grab my external hard drive that contains a backup of my entire digital life. Pretty much everything else is replaceable and covered by insurance. I'd make sure the wife had her rings since jewelry coverage on or policy is only a couple thousand. Important document folder out of the file. Some photos maybe but even all of those can be reprinted. Some clothes and toiletries.

And please please please tell me you have your photos backed up somewhere besides just on your laptop.

obviously the dog as well.

I do have an external drive that I back up my photos with, thanks for asking. Along with DVD backups. So I'd probably throw those in now that you mentioned it.

My external hard drive is my life... oh and Jill and the kids too, but the hard drive.... oh man

hahaha, when i read nathan's comment about throwing dvd backups in the safety deposit box, i pictured him going through his movie collection...

"hmm...lord of the rings trilogy? yeah, definitely need to make a copy of that one for the safety deposit box..."

don't worry, though...i got it. just, that was the first image that came to mind.

i'd for sure take my jewelry box...nothing super expensive in there, but a couple necklaces etc, that belonged to my grandma. also, my big jar of money, and definitely the laptop. and according to all these comments, i guess i need to invest in an external hard drive. how much do those run? i wouldn't even know what to look for.

Amy, check out something like this,
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Desktop-External-ST302504FDA1E1-RK/dp/B000NDBRJC/. You could even take some of that change in your jar to a Coinstar machine that gives Amazon gift certificates and waives the counting fee.

The idea is that all the data you value is backed up to the external hard drive so you have 2 copies of it. If either hard drive dies you still have your data. And if your REALLY value your data you take the external hard drive and put it in a safety deposit box in case your house burns down.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm media39
  • From Huntington Beach, CA, United States
  • A blog made by the people for the people. This bio was rated NC-17 for gory graphic violence, extreme sexual situations, full frontal nudity & dirty filthy language.
My profile